Monday, September 2, 2013

Canada - Vancouver - 28.10.1962

British Columbia Indian Motif
'Lizzard -Mask'
Pacific, Northwest Coast
Ceremonial Mask used for Potlatch dances by the Kwakiutl Indians.

Devonshire Hotel, Vancouver, B.C. Canada - 28.10.1962

Dear Pen,

     The great Trek is about to start again, I leave by the 7a.m. bus tomorrow, horrible thought, specially as I sat up until 4 o'clock this a.m. talking to a Canadian woman!

     Love Nan


British Columbia, Canada
Westernmost province, was named during the gold rush in 1858.  Because of it's grandeur B.C. is often called 'The Switzerland of America.'  it is the greatest playground of the Pacific Northwest, attracting thousands to view it's magnificent mountain scenery, rapid rivers, shimmering waterfalls, cedar-scented forests and beautiful cities.

Devonshire Hotel, Vancouver, B.C. Canada - 28.10.1962

Dear Tim,

     Tell your Mama that I am able to send cards from here because yet another episode of the history of trying to travel Qantas has been perpetrated!!   I'll tell her all when I next write.

     Love Nan




British Columbia Indian Motif
'Butterfly'
Pacific, Northwest Coast

Devonshire Hotel, Vancouver, B.C. Canada - 28.10.1962

Dear Mer,

     As usual, I have a feeling that I've sent you this sort of card before.  However, perhaps it's not the same motif.

     Love Nan


British Columbia Indian Motif
9'Ram'
Pacific, Northwest Coast
 Mask of Kwakiutl Tribe.  A symbol of strength and stamina used in Ceremonial dances.


Devonshire Hotel, Vancouver, B.C. Canada - 28.10.1962

Dear Fish (Nick),

My bed at this hotel comes out of the wall.  I grab the handle of what looks like a door, it swings round with the bed stuck on the other side, I grab the bed firmly and down it pops, already made.

Love Nan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment