Friday, August 30, 2013

U.S.A. - Portland, Oregon - 14.8.1962


A Northwest Sawmill and Log Pond.
Photo by L.L. Perkins.

Portland, Oregon - 14.8.1962

Dear Pen,

     That thing like a windmill without any sails is where the sawdust is burnt (I think!)  Have been twirling the postcard stand round and round trying to be sure I haven't picked a card I've sent before,

     Love Nan


PC- 1 -- Disaster at sea many years ago is represented by the rusting hull of the ill-fated Peter Iredale.  At low tide it is possible to inspect this remaining bow.

Portland, Oregon - 14.8.1962

Dear Tim,

     Thank you for your letter, it was so nice to hear from you all when I got to Fairbanks.  I had more letters than anyone else in our party.  At present a combined one, should be arriving for you 4 kids some time.  Think you were very clever at your exams.


The 'Centennial Queen', river excursion boat which plies the Wiliamette from Portland  and it's mouth adn up the Columbia passing through the Burnside Bridge in mid-Portland.
Color Photo by Georg Nilsen

Greyhound Bus Depot, Portland, Oregon - 14.8.1962

Dear Mer,

     Once again in this city have I forgotten that Standard Time is used everywhere but by Greyhound, so I've got here an hour too early.  Your mother can explain what I mean (I hope).  Next card from San Francisco, then no more until October some time.

     Love Nan


1.     World's Longest Floating Bridge.
2.     Seattle, Docks and Mount Rainer.
3.     University of Washington.
4.     Metropolitan Seattle.
5.     Government Locks - Second largest in the World.

Portland, Oregon - 14.8.1962

Dear Fish (Nick),                         Tell the other kids I'll send them cards from 
                                       here if I have time tomorrow, 
                                   but this is a special one for your, N.

     I tried to get you a more interesting long card but will have to see if I can find one as I travel back to San Francisco.  Please tell everybody my address will now be C/o Mrs P. McFarland, 1215 Oak Street, San Mateo, California.  I'm going to be all night on the bus tomorrow and won't that be fun?  Ha!  Ha!

     Lots of love, Nan



No comments:

Post a Comment