Friday, July 13, 2012

Austria - Innsbruck - 14.5.1957

 Hotel Regina, Innsbruck, Italy - 14-5-1957

Dear Pennie,

Thank you for your long letter.  You must be having a wonderful time and I expect you are as brown as a berry.  I am very sad because I am getting paler and paler as the sun doesn't shine very much in these countries.  The money in Austria is schillings and groschen.  The schillings are worth only one quarter of ours, so, until I pull myself together, I think how expensive things are!  There are 100 groschen to one schilling.  I think were going to like Innsbruck very much.  It is surrounded with snowy mountains just like Cortina, only the mountains are even closer here.   This is the firist place where we have been able to go out without a coat.  It was really hot his afternoon.

Lots of love, Nan

 Hotel Regina, Innsbruck. Austria - 14.5.1957

Dear Timmy,

Thank you very much for your letter.   I do hope you still have your gob cap when I get home.  Tell Mummie I really will write her another long letter soon.  I had a letter from Mama and I gather Pee-wee does not like possums or owls.  I guess you can swim like an expert now after this holiday.  We had an awful lift in our hotel at Cortina.  If you weren't very quick at getting the door open it just rushed back again without giving you a chance to get in.  If you were two quick it stopped too far below the floor and the step was too big.  However, we were just getting able to trick it when we left.

Lots of love, G.A.N.


Hotel Regina, Innsbruck. Austria - 14-5-1957

Dear Merry,

Your letters are getting better and better, I enjoy them very much.  I think the words on the card say "I am coming with congratulations', so that is for your good letters.  We had a very beautiful ride in three different trains to get here today.  One train was a bit late so we had to run like billy-oh to catch the next.  Mummy and Daddy will understand how very exciting it was.  We ate a picnic lunch in the train again today.  Last time we had to share it with two other Australians who had forgotten to get any for themselves.  But we had plenty so it didn't matter.

Lots of love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment