Monday, July 9, 2012

Italy - Stresa - 1.5.1957


Hotel Astoria, Stresa, Italy - 1.5.1957

Dear Pennie,

The bigger island in the picture is right opposite our hotel.  There is just the road and an esplanade between us and the lake and the view from my room is lovely.  We are doing a trip to the Islands and across the Lake tomorrow in a paddle steamer.  I rang Susy at School last night and she says she likes school, and the teachers so far and has made friends with a very big black cat!  The girl who is to share her room hasn't come yet because she is sick and bad suzy is glad.  It is nice to be back in Italy again, although I was a bit sad to leave lovely Switzerland.

Lots of love, Nan 


Hotel Astoria, Stresa, Italy - 1.5.1957

Dear Merry,

We went to see some very beautiful gardens this afternoon where there were two Emus, lots  and lots of little goats, no bigger than Pee wee (our dog), they were grown up goats, the baby ones were much littlier, some Llamas and lots of Deer.  We walked in amongst them and I gave most of my peanuts to the emus because they were Australian. One though my finger was a peanut and I had to open his beak with my other hand to get my finger back.  It didn't hurt much.

Lots of love, Nan

----------------------------------------------
From Google today.  Hotel Astoria, Stresa. Italy.

Do you think this is the same Hotel, it doesn't look more than 55 years old to me.

 The view from the Hotel.

 Isola Bella.

 From the Air.

No comments:

Post a Comment