Friday, July 6, 2012

England - London - 18.4.1957.

 Berners Hotel, London. England - 18-4-1957.

Dear Pennie,

     We arrived in London yesterday, by air.  Half way across the Channel we could see the cliffs of Dover in front of us and the coast of France behind us.  It was thrilling.  We loved Paris, I think it must be the most beautiful city in the World.  Susy and I went up to the top of the Eiffel tower.  A lift takes you up one stage, then another lift goes to more stages and then yet another one another stage and then we walked up the last stage!  We counted 13 bridges over the Seine from the top of the tower.  Thank you for your letter, I'll write a proper letter to you when I have finished racing over the country.

     Lots of love, Nan


Berners Hotel, London. England - 18-4-1957.

Dear Timmy,

     Thank you for your letter I was very pleased to hear the news of Pee-wee.  We went to see Buckingham Palace yesterday and to watch the guards.  One had his shoe lace undone and I did want to tell him about it but he looked so stern,  I did not like to.  The queen has gone to Windsor for a holiday and we are very disappointed that there is no chance of seeing her this time.  We are going back to France tomorrow week, by boat this time, so I hope the sea is nice and well behaved.  In the aeroplane yesterday all the seats faced back the front.  It seemed very odd to be travelling backwards.  I will try to send you big stamps but I can't always get them.

     Lots of love G.A.N  (Great Aunt Nancy)


Berners Hotel, London.  England - 18-4-1957.

Dear Merry,

     Thank you very much for your letter, you certainly put a lot of hard work into it and I was most impressed.  We haven't seen these 'Beefeaters' yet, but we will next week.  Please tell Pee-wee she had better come to France to live because dogs are allowed to travel in trains and buses there and I saw one dog much bigger than she is, sitting on a chair in a cafe eating off the table !!  I think I might have told you that before, did I?

     Lots of love, Nan.

No comments:

Post a Comment